Wednesday, December 31, 2014

Making Waves

I went to Wal-Mart the other day because I needed to get my oil changed and some new tires. I sat in the waiting room for what felt like hours but honestly it was maybe one and a half. I was extremely bored so I entertained myself by watching the children hanging about. 

I'm not sure where the rapscallions were from but there were dozens throughout the course of my waiting. They were all super hyper so I think maybe they escaped from Willy Wonka's chocolate factory. I considered stalking them, or at least asking them if they knew where the candy van was but then decided someone would probably think I had ill intentions. The kids were running to and fro and leaping from bench to bench in a dare devilish manner. It was only a matter of time before someone got hurt. 

The cutest little toddler girl wearing a plaid pea coat and leggings (who was maybe a foot and a half tall) was standing in the back of the cart out by the auto parts register. I was sitting 15-20 ft away in the waiting room and she waved so I waved back. She got very excited and enthusiastically waved and jumped. Next she toppled out of the cart head first. Her dad turned around and scolded the brothers for not keeping a keen eye on her but I seriously felt so guilty for waving.  She persisted to scream bloody murder for the rest of the time they were there. 

Eventually the family left. I then got my new tires on, my oil changed, and went on my merry way. Whenever she is I hope she is okay. Maybe later in life she will hate waving at people but she won't quite remember why. Or she will hate the smell of tires... Or perhaps plaid pea coats. Or maybe she will just hate weird white women who have a strange fascination with narwhals. 

No comments:

Post a Comment