Sunday, February 23, 2014

Writing Between the Lines of Friendship



"The only reward of virtue is virtue; the only way to have a friend is to be one." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Throughout the years I have always bombarded friends and family with handwritten letters. I write not because expect anything back, but just as my little way to reach out and say hello. Honestly it is a rarity to receive a response, but when I do it is most welcome. Today I received a card from a very dear friend who I haven’t written to in ages. It was a nice reminder to know that someone was thinking of me.

Life is funny in the way that it pulls us apart. Nevertheless I am so fortunate to have the thriving, quality friendships and family that I do. Sometimes I can’t help but to feel selfish in a way because of my busy schedule; full time and a half student, the 20 + hours of homework per week that entails, my volunteer job, my real job, and the everyday duties that are life. But let me not act like a martyr because I am truly thankful for all of the opportunities that my humble little life has afforded me.

I guess what I am trying to say is; I appreciate those who respect my life and the capacity to which I live it. I appreciate those who take the time to reach out to me once in a while, and who do not live on the notion that friendship is a one way street. I appreciate those who allow me to maintain healthy/positive friendships with them, I appreciate those who do not continuously turn the spotlight on themselves and bask in the oxymoron of darkness that exists in doing so. I appreciate those who are capable of celebrating other people’s victories and milestones in life. Life is a beautiful compilation of brilliant people and spectacular adventures. But above all it is what we make of it, and the outlook we have towards it.

Be not mistaken, dear readership this is not meant to be a negative post. This is a roundabout way of saying thank you to those who truly, genuinely are quality wholesome friends. As I mentioned above I am blessed with some amazing friendships. 

In other news I have been looking for a reason to post the following two photos (which I discovered on Reddit like a month ago). Maybe this borderline weird-o post is just the excuse to do so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment