Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Farewell Letter

 Dear Uncle T-

It is Monday; my favorite day to write to you. Now I fear that perhaps this will be my last letter. I hope that Mae welcomed you with open arms when she found you. Because, undoubtedly, I know she was there to greet you. I know you were happy to go home to her, and I am glad that you are no longer in pain.

I talked to Aunt Gloria today. If there is one thing I know; she loves you so much... but of course you do not need me to tell you that.  She told me that your slippers are right where you left them. She told me that you have a fresh batch of laundry in the basket waiting for you. Even though there are traces of your physical being left behind there is a stark and lonely void that exists which was your brilliant life. It is hard knowing that you are not here with us physically. I suppose I just must keep reminding myself that you are there on the other side with Mae orchestrating things for all of us left behind.

Aunt Gloria also told me that your dog and co-pilot Caesar knows that you are gone. While he misses you most assuredly, I am sure that Mr. Mott Mott and Bridget were there to greet you on the other side. You used to always say when they were alive that no matter how many times you came in and out of the house within a days time, they were there to greet you as though they had not seen you in years. I can only imagine how overjoyed they were to see you today.

Aunt Gloria told me that you were trying to say something in your final moments. Though it could not be discerned I have a few ideas for what it could have been. Maybe you were saying goodbye, and telling us all that you loved each and every one of us one more time. Maybe you were apologizing for any hurt feelings or unresolved conflicts. Maybe you were forgiving those who wronged you. Or maybe you were simply saying hello to Mae, asking how she was as though you had just seen her yesterday, and admiring the copious amounts of fancy jewelry that we all know she is adorned in... After all it is probably the reflection of that very jewelry that makes the summer sky so bright, and all of the stars in the evening glow so intensely.

I am so thankful that I was able to send you some letters towards the end of your days. Aunt Gloria told me that she was able to read all of my letters to you. It fills me with such joy that you were as touched as she says you were by them. I am sorry for the tears that they made you cry, but please know I was crying too on the other side of things.  I am so happy I got to tell you how I felt about you. I can't imagine not getting that chance.

It is hard sometimes, life that is. People come in and out of our lives so frequently it is like the tide in the ocean bringing things to shore and then sending them back. I am happy that you were always a constant for me. We were always able to pick up right where we left off even if a large span of time passed between our meetings. I am happy that no matter what it is that you were facing, I was there for you relentlessly. Thank you for being there for me in return. Thank you for loving me and for sharing so many things with me.

I guess for now this is farewell. But I know that we will meet again someday. Until that time I will just have to hold you in my heart. I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Love Always,
Malina      

No comments:

Post a Comment