Tuesday, September 23, 2014

10 Points for Gryffindor

Last night directly before I was going to bed Justin asked me if I had seen Emma Watson's speech at the United Nations regarding feminism. He had seen a blip on his Facebook news feed and just decided to mention it in passing; having not watched the speech himself. I retired to our room, pulled the video up on my laptop, and watched for thirteen minutes as Emma Watson delivered what I consider to be both spectacular and moving speech.

The speech revolved around equal rights for men and women which I obviously find important. I need not preach about the issues at hand since if you care to be enlightened, Emma Watson does a far better job then I could ever do in the video below. Toward the end of her speech she stated a few impressive proclamations which inspired me so much that I finished my CASPA application for PA School, and then my supplementary application for the one grad school I am applying to this round. I honestly do not think I stand a chance at getting in for the upcoming year owing to my lack of medical experience hours (I come in at about a third of what is liked.. not having the minimum hours puts me at the bottom of the application stack), but the point is that I tried. Because as Emma Watson said: "If not me, who... if not now, when?" and she was right.

I am excited and terrified all at the same time. If you know me personally then you are well aware of the uphill battle that I have faced while finishing my undergraduate degree and combating health problems. But despite those adversaries I never gave up. So for me- submitting that application was monumental. As miniscule as it may seem in the grand scheme of things, I am proud of myself.






No comments:

Post a Comment